Old and unreliable lighting systems in small businesses end up costing companies a lot of money in the long run. If you are constantly dealing with flickering lights, replacing light bulbs that seem to burn out almost instantly and having poorly lit products, it’s time to switch up your lighting system.
The Ontario government has recently introduced the small business lighting incentive program that helps small businesses to invest in energy efficient lighting. Having energy efficient lighting will not only save you more money on your operating costs, but it will also give you more attractive lighting to show off your products, give the customers a better experience since they won’t be irritated by flickering lights, and help your employees focus more on their work.
Here is what eligible small businesses will receive when they opt into the lighting incentive program:
- Get up to $2,000 for energy efficient lighting upgrades.
- Free onsite assessment of your building or facility.
- A stress-free lighting installation process that gets rid of the need to find a certified contractor, obtain and compare quotes, project management, and the cleanup.
Here are the types of businesses that are eligible to participate in the Ontario lighting incentive:
- Businesses who use less than 100kW on average per year.
- Past businesses who participated in the Power Saving Blitz (2008-2010) or Direct Install Lighting (2011-2015) programs can also participate in the new Ontario Small Business Lighting Incentive Program.
You should note that some companies will receive the full benefit while others may only be partially funded through the program. There may also be additional opportunities to exceed the $2,000 incentive in the new program.
If you are eligible to participate in the Small Business Lighting Incentive Program you should seriously consider joining it because there are so many benefits that your company will receive. As mentioned above, the program will provide all the services necessary to install your new lights and clean everything up after they are done. You will also see more savings with your energy bills, plus the following:
- Have better visibility in your building which is a lot safer to walk around in.
- Have better curb appeal because your lights won’t be dull or flickering anymore and you can better showcase the products within your store.
- The average lifespan of the new lighting system will reach around 50,000 hours, meaning you won’t have to spend a lot of time on maintenance.
- Have a more comfortable and friendly environment that your customers and employees will enjoy their time in.
All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Call your local hydro utility: Ask the representative if your area offers the program. If they do, they will help you determine if your company is eligible to participate in it and get you started on the installation process.
- Review the options: An onsite assessment will outline your energy efficient lighting upgrade options. You will sign some paperwork if you do decide to go through with the upgrades so the installation process can start.
- Your lighting will be installed: You will be provided with up to $2,000 in lighting upgrades which do include the cost of labor and materials. You utility representative will tell you how much of the benefit you will receive before the installation process starts.